Have you been searching for easy DIY homemade dog treats and haven’t had much luck? Be glad you stumbled across this post because we have this recipe, plus a few others, and more to come!
Making treats for my dogs and those at the shelter is something I really enjoy doing. This recipe only requires 6 simple ingredients that you most likely have at your home already, or can find quite easily at your local grocery.
This recipe is full of nutrients and flavors your dog will love. The main three ingredients in this treat are chicken, sweet potatoes, and strawberries. These ingredients are the “powerhouse” of the recipe.
Homemade Dog Treats
Sweet potatoes are a fantastic source of iron, calcium, and zinc. They are also high in fiber and low in fat and sodium. The potassium that is found in sweet potatoes helps to maintain the correct balance of fluid in your dog’s body. Studies have shown that they can also offer protection against heart disease and can reduce the risk of certain types of cancer.
Adding chicken gives these treats a PUNCH of protein which is great for dogs. This is followed by strawberries which are full of antioxidants and packed full of vitamin C and fiber. Strawberries contain an enzyme that helps to whiten your dog’s teeth to give them those beautiful pearly whites.
- 1 Cup Chicken – cooked & finely chopped
- 1 Cup Sweet Potatoes – peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1/2 Cup of Strawberries – washed & finely chopped
- Mint (fresh or dried) – Fresh: 3 teaspoons finely chopped or Dried: 1 teaspoon
- 1 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1 Cup Water
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit or 160 degrees Celsius Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof baking paper
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the chicken, sweet potatoes, strawberries, mint, and coconut rice flour
- Once mixed together,, pour int he water and mix until combined
- Sprinkle coconut flour onto a flat surface. Roll out the dough to around 5-6mm thick onto the floured surface. Sprinkle with a bit more extra coconut flour. Then either cut into bite sized treats or use a cookie cutter that’s around 1-1.5 inches
- Lightly place slightly strawberry pieces onto each biscuit (optional)
- Bake int he oven for 25-30 minutes until they are a golden brown. Remove the treats from the oven and let cool a few minutes before moving them to a cooling rack
- Once the treats are cooled, place them in an airtight container. They can last up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Want to learn to feed your dog a raw diet? Click here to learn more!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means I might earn a small commission if you use one of the links but has no additional cost to you. Using these affiliate links allows me to keep the website up and keep me posting and sharing these great recipes and tips.
One Thought to “Homemade Dog Treats – Chicken & Strawberry”
“Hi there ♥
Thanks for the amazing post.
My dogs have been on natural food for some time, but I’m always looking for more information and your article has helped me a lot. :-)”