Let’s get started on dog safe foods and some foods to keep away from your dog. Some foods that we humans eat can be totally safe for your dog, some are safe but have a few restrictions, and hen you have some foods that your dog should never ever eat as hey can be toxic or very harmful for your dog if consumed. Below are some foods you can let your dog eat and some you shouldn’t let your dog eat.
Here is a list of some dog safe human foods:
- Bananas: These are rich in vitamin C and potassium and are good for your dog.
- Blueberries: Jam packed with antioxidants. I put some into Kong toys for my dogs.
- Kiwis: another fruit that’s full of potassium and vitamin C.
- Pineapple: Safe for your dog and good frozen as a treat especially on a hot summer day.
- Strawberries: High in fiber. These are good as treats (fresh or frozen) or sprinkled on top of their food.
Safe foods with restrictions:
- Apples: Don’t let your dog eat the seeds though! Seeds aren’t good for your pup.
- Watermelon: Again, make sure they don’t get seeds. I buy the seedless watermelon so I know it’s safe for my dogs.
- Peaches: Be sure to remove the pit. The pit can cause blockages if eaten.
- Lemons: Your dog may not like the bitter taste. Lemon can also help freshen your dogs breath.
- Oranges: Give these in moderation as they are high in natural sugar.
DO NOT give these foods to your dog:
- Avocados: Avocados can cause your dog to vomit which obviously isn’t a good thing.
- Cherries: They can cause cyanide poisoning so avoid letting your dog eat cherries.
- Raisins: Unless you want your dog to have kidney failure keep raisins out of their reach.
- Grapes: Just like raisins grapes can also cause kidney failure.
There’s plenty more foods that are totally safe for your dog but also other foods you should avoid giving to your dog. Please research foods before giving them to your dog or discuss it with your vet. Always be cautious if you aren’t sure what your dog can and cannot have. Also, keep in mind some dogs do have food specific allergies so even if it’s safe for dogs, your pup could have an allergy to specific foods.
Below is a chart that sums everything up that I have discussed above.