This is another DIY recipe that is super super easy. Does your dog love salmon? Do they enjoy being spoiled or do you enjoy spoiling your dog? Then you totally need to make your dog some salmon jerky dog treats. Your dog with totally thank you!
Salmon is a fatty fish and has a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. This makes it good for your dogs skin and coat health and supports a healthy immune system.
With this salmon jerky you can make as much or as little as you want. If you end up making too much salmon jerky, it isn’t an issue as it can easily be stored for up to 3 months in your fridge. I totally prefer making enough for about a month As if I use my oven it’s already on for an extended period of time but also my dehydrator holds a good amount of the salmon when sliced.
That’s it, just one simple ingredient.
Directions (with an oven):
- Preheat your oven to 200*F
- Freeze your salmon for about 10-20 minutes to make it easy to slice.
- Cut thin slices about 1/8 thick.
- Place the slices filets on your baking sheet. Use tin foil for an easy cleanup or simply spray your pan with non-stick spray.
- Bake for about 4-6 hours until the moisture is gone. You want it to bend but not break when it is twisted.
- Your jerky can last up to 3 months in the fridge or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Directions (with a dehydrator):
- Pat dry your salmon.
- Place the salmon on your dehydrator trays.
- Put the trays in the dehydrator at 140 degrees.
- Leave them in there for about 3-4 hours (times vary so check your manual).
- Salmon is done when it is chewy but not crunchy.
That’s it! Super simple and easy. This receipt is also good to give to cats although I’d recommend baking it in smaller bite size pieces instead of slices.
Does your dog drool over these salmon jerky dog treats? Let me know!
10 Thoughts to “Salmon Jerky Dog Treats: A DIY for Salmon Jerky”
If only I had a dog! My mams dog would love this so I will be showing her this blog 🙂
Thanks! These treats can also be given to a cat.
I love making homemade treats for my pets. It beats all the artificial ingredients found in packaged products and this salmon jerky looks really tasty!
I fully agree. Let me know how t turns out when you make it and what your pets think of it.
Love this!!! I have 4 dogs and these are on my to-do list this weekend!
Let me know how it goes. Excited to hear about it.
My dogs would love these! Thank you for sharing! My name is Brandy and im new at blogging, its nice to meet you all. Have a blessed day! http://whimsicalwolfblog.com/
Let me know how they turn out! I’ll go check out your blog. I love reading others’ blogs.
About how many ounces of salmon is needed for a month’s worth of jerky?
That will depend a bit on the size of your dog and how many treats you give. I do a variety but if I do them as training treats I make them small and use about a pound which is enough for a month for both my 50 pound dogs. Most often I do a single filet and cut it into a variety of sizes.
If I know the size of your dog and the intended use, I’d be able to help a bit more.