There’s many things a lot of us don’t know about dogs but today hopefully this post will help teach you something new about your best friend. Dogs are family and we do our best to communicate with them. It’s a beautiful relationship between human and dog and something we all should cherish. Dogs definitely teach us something new every day even though they are our oldest companions. Be sure to read and share these wonderful and interesting dog facts.
Looking to impress your friends at parties or get togethers where dogs are around? You can totally spill some of these awesome and fascinating facts to them. Although, if you aren’t the social type, you’ll be there just petting and hanging out with the dog. That’s me, the girl who would prefer to pet the dogs instead of talk to others.
- A fully grown adult dog has 42 teeth
- The oldest dog on record lived to be 29 years and 5 months old. The dog lived in Australia on a farm and was an Australian Cattle Dog.
- Dogs only have sweat glands in their paws.
- Border Collies are known to be the smartest dogs and can learn up to 200 commands.
- Dogs actually drink with the back of their tongue.
- Dogs have 3 eyelids. While you can only see two of the eyelids, the upper and the lower; you’ll only see the third eyelid if there’s a problem.
- A dogs sense of smell is anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 times better than that of a human. A dog has around 300 million olfactory receptors while humans have only around 6 million.
- Dogs have around 1,700 taste buds which is considerably less than that of humans who have around 9,000. Dogs have more taste buds though than cats who only have around 470.
- Dogs can actually see in color. They are only able to see blue-violet and yellow or the mixture/blend of those two colors. Dogs can also see very well in the dark. They see far better than humans do at night.
What are some of your favorite things about your own dog? Any other interesting facts you know about dogs?